Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ouray and Telluride

Morning in Ouray! Ouray is a small town in a box canyon in southwest Colorado. We drove in last night when it was dark so we awoke to the beauty of the town! We're staying at a real cool place inside town with natural mineral hot springs only feet away, but more about that later....
View on our balcony from the motel.
Matt enjoys his coffee on the balcony by the river. I think this river is called Uncompahgre River.
We did three hikes this morning before lunch and this is a pic from the first. Apparently the entire town of Ouray is in a flood zone and they've built these huge storm drains around town to help with the problem.
This was at the end of our first hike. It's called Cascade Canyon and the water falls quite a long way to the canyon floor. In the spring, i'm sure this thing is really rushing.
We passed some mule deer on the hike back out.
This is the trailhead for the second hike. We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into, because this hike was pretty much straight up. The views made it all worth it though.
See the bottom lefthand corner? Yeah, that's the trail. This was not for people who are the slightest bit nervous about ledges. I guess it was not for me, because I'm freaked out by ledges, but I made it.

This is the town of Ouray from up at the top of our hike. This place is gorgeous.

Lets review the uses I have discovered for a tripod. a)taking pictures b)walking stick c)leaning stick d)rod to hit snakes (we saw one on this trail) e)keeping Matt in line...Ha!
This was a chipmunk on our third hike.
This place is called Box Canyon Falls and is one of Ouray's claims to fame. The pictures don't convey it, but there is so much water falling through this canyon that it is defeaning. We had to yell at one another to be understood....I can't imagine what it's like in spring!




The look up from the bottom of the falls. Do you see that suspension bridge at the top? The pictures below are taken from that bridge. Matt took the pictures on the bridge because I was a scardy-cat.
This is called the "Amphitheater" because it's kinda rounded.





God's spotlight. The entire area was covered in a cloud except for this one spot.
Later in the afternoon we made the hour drive to Telluride. This was an aspen grove on the way there.
Telluride is a very posh, very upscale town. I mean, come one, Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise have a house here. They have a free gondola that goes over the mountain and runs year round, and we enjoyed the ride up and back.


Mental note: this would be a great place to come skiing.
On the other side of the gondola from Telluride is a town called Mountain Village. Also would be a great place to come ski.
More mule deer, they are everywhere here.
View of Telluride from the gondola...it's also in a box canyon just like Ouray. We shopped a little bit in town and then had some awesome Mexican Food. Back in Ouray we visited the Ouray Hot Springs Pool which I'll have a picture of tomorrow in the daylight.





No comments:

Post a Comment